Monday, December 13, 2010

Do I love books because I'm a librarian, or am I a librarian because I love books?

I have been pondering this question today because I have thought all day long about sharing my small collection of children's Christmas books. I started collecting these books many years ago, and for some reason, I did not choose the whimsical, fun, silly Christmas books that children love so much. Now that Libby is here, I know that I will add those fun books to my collection.

Although neither of these was the first in my collection, they were purchased early. It was interesting reading about the story behind the candy cane and the first Christmas tree. I have seen many people pass out the candy cane with a brief description of what its stripes mean.


I also chose books that have been around for a long time. The next one was first a letter written to Santa and then printed in a newspaper. I liked the meaning found in this book as well as the way this book was illustrated. And, Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.


I bought one of the following books because it depicts one of my all time favorite Christmas songs. The other is relatively new, and I love how Joseph wonders how he can be a father to the God who created everything. It is a good read for all dads.



The next, The Crippled Lamb, was the first in my collection and probably the reason that I am still collecting. It is the awesome story of a crippled lamb that is not allowed to go out to graze with the other sheep in the cold, cold night because he is crippled. Since the lamb is upset, his friend, the cow, tells him that he is special and that God has a purpose for everyone including him. Of course, the stable that the lamb stayed in was the very one in which Jesus was born. The lamb's purpose was to keep the baby warm on this cold, cold night. I have shared this book at many parties, used it as a devotion, and reread it many times over the holidays. It still makes me cry, and I always feel the presence of God when reading it.



My last purchase was Saturday, and I bought Charlie Brown's Christmas because of something that was posted on Parker's Facebook page. It was a video of Linus telling all of us the true meaning of Christmas. Even though it is fun and silly at times, it is right on the mark concerning what Christmas is all about. For this book, I got the copy with sounds just for Libby.



So, what do you think? Do I love books because I'm a librarian, OR am I a librarian because I love books?

No comments:

Post a Comment