Monday, November 15, 2010

Decorating for Christmas




I usually don't like to put my Christmas decorations up this early, but I'm excited about this Christmas. Parker will be home in five weeks, and we have a little one to enjoy all the festivities anew. Since, this is only our second Christmas in this house, I'm contemplating where my decorations will go. I was not particularly happy with what I did last year, so I'm going to make some changes. Putting decorations that have had a definite place in a previous home into a new place in a new home takes some consideration as well as trial and error. If you have moved as much as I have, you will understand. No matter, the traditions are still there, and for the most part, my decorations are the same. (I did sell a lot when we left Carrollton because I knew that I would not have the storage that I had there.)
I started in my kitchen/dining area this weekend. Usual holly on the light fixture, Santa pitcher and mugs above the china cabinet, and a Christmas platter along with tins and other holiday jars for fudge, divinity, party mix, etc. on the kitchen counter are a good start. I have new red dishes that I will use for most of December, but I do plan to pull the Lenox Christmas dishes out on Christmas Eve. (Momma bought me these years ago, and I just haven't used them which is ridiculous. I think she will be happy knowing that I am using them.) I have an arrangement on the sideboard (which is old, I don't like, and will probably change), and I have no idea what I want to do on the table. So, even though I have started in there, I'm nowhere near finished.
I decorated the foyer tonight and did a little in the living room. I moved my sofa table to the foyer because its location is where I will put our tree. On it, I put my large family Bible opened to Luke 2 with two large white/gold paper mache' angels on either side. On the wall above, I have an old wreath decorated with brass bells from the Holy Land. I think I need to replace my bows on this wreath, but I'm bad about not doing things like this once it is up. (That means I'm lazy.)
I also decorated my mantel tonight. I put garland up with ribbon running through it. Again, I think I need to add some lights, which I have, but I'm not sure that I will do. On the mantel itself, I added my gold paper mache' deer family complete with bows around their necks.

I have another "sofa type table" (does that make sense) that I'm trying to decide what to do with. I will probably put my nativity scene on it.
My tree will go up this weekend. I bought it new last year and love it. It is very tall since my ceilings in the living room are high. I collect Santa ornaments, but I'm contemplating putting all my ornaments on the tree this year. (We have collected Hallmark ornaments for years. It is one of the things that Momma buys for all or us each year.) I usually top the tree with a Santa hat, but I'm thinking about adding some pizzazz if I can figure out how to do it.
Other than a few things in the bathrooms and wreaths on the bedroom doors, that is probably all that I will do inside this year.
So, I've started rather early, but I'm getting in the mood. Now, if I could just get my Christmas list written and gifts bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment